Here's my 12th build for 2007: An old AMT kit of the MB 300SL. This one was so warped I almost didn't build it, but if nothing else I'm stubborn!
Those of you who have one of these know what I'm talking about. No comments on the body panel fitment, please...
Anyway, here's what I did to this one: After straigtening the body, doors, and hood the best I could, I painted them with Testor's "AMC Sterling Silver" paint, followed by a clear coat, polish, and wax. The pics don't do it justice; it's tough to photograph in the Winter sun! It doesn't have the "metalflake" appearance in person. All trim is done with BMF. Instead of using the kit's unconvincing insert for the side "gills", I scratchbuilt a set from Evergreen sheet stock and half-rounds. I replaced the door and quarter window "glass" with acetate sheet, replaced the chrome "bullet" lenses under the headlights with some clear ones from the parts box, and also added parts box tires and outside mirror. I decided the opening trunk was a lost cause (incorrect hinges, bulkheads, tiny spare, etc.), so I just glued it shut. My example had poor/worn chrome on the bumpers so I covered them with BMF in some areas as well.
For the interior, I made a headliner out of tape, scratchbuilt a set of sunvisors, made a "leather" center hump "mat" from tape, and covered the floors with red flocking for carpeting. I also added the "luggage rail" in the back, used a set of photoetched headlight shields/screens to replicate speaker grilles, and swapped out the shifter for one made from a straight pin and a photoetched trim ring. The dash is painted with Testor's Ivory, with all details hand painted or picked out in BMF, and clear 5-min epoxy for the gauge lenses.
The engine compartment has been enhanced with wiring, plumbing, an intake manifold heat shield (made from aluminum foil), and valve cover decals (reduced down from a photo of the 1:1). I modified the radiator by adding an upper tank from my parts box, added the missing intake tubing and air filter box upstream of the throttle body, radiator and coolant hoses, and scratchbuilt a few other miscellaneous items such as the windshield washer resevoir/jar.
Well, I hope you all like it. This one has been lingering on the back burner for the last 2 years: With so many things to be corrected it just kept dragging on, and the more I worked on it the more inacuracies I found, so now it's time to call it "DONE"! Comments welcomed (and encouraged
So much plastic, so little time...