SEARCH SCALEAUTOMAG.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

First Custom Ramp Truck

832 views
1 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    December 2010
  • From: Hillsboro, TX
First Custom Ramp Truck
Posted by ibj40 on Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:48 AM

This is where it all started, I guess I have been posting them up on this Board in reverse order.  This will also go into a little more detail about my approach and techniques I use.

Here are the victims:

Anson 1/18 scale Chevy club cab dually



ACME 1/18 scale Ford ramp back hauler



You might remember another custom hauler I did here: race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/1275/chevy-club-cab-truck-hauler?page=1&scrollTo=8367


Started taking pictures mid-stream, so I apologize for starting this right in the middle.

Here's the bottom of the Anson, the chassis is plastic, the body is diecast.



Six screws hold on the bed, and it's pretty easy to remove.

 20190829_191529 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

And here's the chassis of the ACME with the cab removed. It is such an advantage for the ACME to have a diecast ladder frame, will make marrying the two models a lot easier. Screws are easy to access on this model. The cab is diecast, the ramp bed is plastic.



Essentially, I am going to cut the back off the Anson chassis, and blend the ACME ladder frame into the remaining front of the Anson.





Started out by cutting a portion of the ACME ladder frame off, so that the existing crossmember will, more or less, match up with the similar feature on the Anson plastic chassis.



Then I removed the rear of the Anson chassis.



Initial dry fit looks promising.





Next is to determine how much of the plastic detail to remove from the bottom of the Anson chassis in order for the ACME chassis to match up cleanly.
 

Essentially what I did was Dremel out the plastic the interfered with allowing the ACME diecast chassis from to blend into the Anson plastic chassis.  What I did then was placed the diecast chassis into the plastic chassis, and filled the void with JB Weld.  I let it cure until it was really close, and then assembled the model so that I could get it to set in a level condition.

In this first picture, you can see some of the JB Weld that leaked through, but it worked, once the JB Weld cured completely, it is solid.



And here it sits, and then I just had to pose a color appropriate model with it.





I've got another white ACME heading my way, and a white Anson dually on the donor shelf.  This one went so well, might have to start a fleet (which, as you can see, I have).


 

  • Member since
    November 2013
Posted by Daddy_O on Sunday, October 27, 2019 10:46 AM

I like it! Very well done.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS

FREE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our privacy policy