SEARCH SCALEAUTOMAG.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Lola T-70 Mk III

12903 views
191 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    July 2005
  • From: Surf City, So Cal
Posted by Scale-Master on Wednesday, June 10, 2020 12:40 PM
I also made the license plate…

Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... Mark D. Jones

  • Member since
    September 2008
Posted by Lil Rebel on Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:54 PM

I'v just got one question, How are you going to shrink down small enough to drive this work of art? You are amazing. Can't wait to see her finished. Thanks for sharing all that you do.

  • Member since
    July 2005
  • From: Surf City, So Cal
Posted by Scale-Master on Thursday, June 11, 2020 3:33 PM

Thanks Lil Rebel!

 

I designed a Weber 48 IDA carb in SolidWorks.  I might have gone a little overkill, but sometimes those details print well.  Even though I made the springs and hardware I'll probably print the master without some of those details and machine them in metal like usual.
Linkages that can barely be seen…
The screen is a separate part too.
Idle and mixture screws with springs.

Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... Mark D. Jones

  • Member since
    July 2005
  • From: Surf City, So Cal
Posted by Scale-Master on Thursday, June 11, 2020 8:15 PM
Once I knew the base of the manifold fit the engine I added the runners and flanges.

Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... Mark D. Jones

  • Member since
    June 2019
Posted by Tortuga Kustomz on Friday, June 12, 2020 7:30 AM
This is really impressive my friend, you really did I inspired me to make better work, thanks for sharing this amazing project, I’ll be looking for more updates
  • Member since
    July 2005
  • From: Surf City, So Cal
Posted by Scale-Master on Saturday, June 13, 2020 6:38 PM

Hearing I inspired someone to do better work is an awesome compliment, thank you!

 

First print of the full manifold.
Test printed the carb parts at the same time.  In the end it looks like I'll have to machine hardware for them like usual.
Although I was half surprised the lower linkage and springs grew…
 

Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... Mark D. Jones

  • Member since
    July 2005
  • From: Surf City, So Cal
Posted by Scale-Master on Thursday, June 18, 2020 8:29 PM

The radius rods in the kit are clunky chromed plastic with C type snap "fittings".  And they are somewhat flexible.  

I drew up adjustable rod ends and joints and printed some out.  I printed one set assembled together for the rear joints to make mocking it up and sizing the rods easier.

The main radius rods are steel rod and the receivers for the control links are brass rod.

 

Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... Mark D. Jones

  • Member since
    July 2005
  • From: Surf City, So Cal
Posted by Scale-Master on Monday, June 22, 2020 9:18 PM
While I was able to engineer in the correct angles for the intake manifold to mate to the block and heads when I designed it; the printer left too much slag on the bottom surfaces and I had to fixture it up in my mill to cut those angles for a proper fit.  This material is very brittle and I was relieved that it took the vise and milling as well as it did.
I also added a couple more magnets to it.
 
 
The block received two more magnets too.  As well as brass tubing under the thermostat housing and the distributor to positively locate and align the manifold.

Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... Mark D. Jones

  • Member since
    July 2005
  • From: Surf City, So Cal
Posted by Scale-Master on Tuesday, June 23, 2020 9:59 PM
I turned my attention back the carbs and added brass tubing to the intake for positive locating of the Webers.  I used the one I test grew to double check alignment.

Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... Mark D. Jones

  • Member since
    July 2005
  • From: Surf City, So Cal
Posted by Scale-Master on Tuesday, July 21, 2020 7:15 PM
Built up the rear suspension rods and ends, and they work with the rest of the moving suspension parts.  Steel rods, cast resin joints made from 3D printed masters I designed and grew and brass pivot points.

Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... Mark D. Jones

  • Member since
    July 2005
  • From: Surf City, So Cal
Posted by Scale-Master on Saturday, July 25, 2020 3:56 PM
Made new lower control arms from steel and cast resin ends.

Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... Mark D. Jones

  • Member since
    July 2005
  • From: Surf City, So Cal
Posted by Scale-Master on Saturday, July 25, 2020 9:25 PM
I'm guessing the oval hole in the engine cover is a carry-over from the first issue for the power switch for the motor and lights.  They provide a plug, but it needs to be faired in.

Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... Mark D. Jones

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS

FREE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our privacy policy