I’ve been concentrating on the decal design side of this project. One decision I had made was to use white decal paper in order to get white backgrounds and color into the graphics. As many of you may know, inkjet printers “assume” white paper and overlay transparent inks onto the white to make color images. If you use clear decal paper the white disappears and the base paint color on the bodywork shows through. White decal paper is very opaque and results in a true color when you print. But white decal paper has some serious downsides. One is that you must cut your decals out very accurately in order to avoid any white edges. Even then, because white decal paper is significantly thicker that clear decal paper, some white may show along the edges. Wherever possible you should design around this issue.
The other significant negative about white decal paper is that is much stiffer and less stretchable than clear. This means that if you are applying white decal stock to a compound curve the decals may bubble or fold on themselves. They may even crack along the surface. The roof of my VW bug is very much compound curved, curving continuously in all directions with virtually no flat surfaces. I attempted to make a single sheet decal for the roof, and while dimensionally it was extremely accurate, the decal would not lay flat and conform to the roof’s shape. It wrinkled and bubbled and cracked. The ink layer broke up as a result. A true disaster!!! Take a look:
So I went back and redesigned the roof art so it could be assembled from several smaller pieces of decal. Here’s the result:
I also experimented with additional panels on the sides as well as the tops of both the front and rear fenders. As I had feared, the overall look got too busy, so I opted to only put scallops of the front fender tops, leaving large areas of gold on the sides of the front fenders and the rear fenders untouched. It should complement to areas of gold on the roof redesign. Here is the final decal art:
Unfortunately all the experimenting meant that I ran out of white decal paper. I ordered some but for now I can’t show pictures of the final art. Below are a couple of pictures shopping the additional scallops on the front fenders and the rear quarter panels.
Once the decal paper gets here I’ll apply the final graphics and can move one to clear coating and the remaining mechanical and interior work.
Thanx for lookin’,