SEARCH SCALEAUTOMAG.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

39 Chevy sedan WIP

315 views
5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    May, 2011
  • From: Vacaville, CA
39 Chevy sedan WIP
Posted by bowtiefan on Friday, February 17, 2017 7:13 PM

I am trying to make a model of my 1:1 street rod. 

I bought a resin transkit body w/interior off ebay.  I don't know who made it.  I've only done a couple resin kits, but they went pretty well.  This one is a challenge.   I have been working on this off and on for a few months.  The first problem is that the interior tub also is part of the floor pan.  I've got both the Revell 39 coupe street rod and the 39 sedan delivery which both have the same floor/fender piece.  So, part of the Revell floor has to be cut out to put the interior in which also requires the removal of the gas tank and exhauset that are molded on the frame.  I cut too much, so I'm working around that.  Next is the body to chassis fit with the interior in place.  The walls of the interior tub are way too thick which wouldn't let the body fit down on the chassis.  After lots of filing, I think I have that under control.  Both kits have BB Chevys, but my car is a 350 and the engine/trans tunnel cut out in the firewall was way too big, so I had to make a new one.

 

 

One issue I had with the kit is the one piece hood.  Apparently it was designed to be removed, or maybe opened like a conventional hood, but there is no apparatis for that.  Problem is, the 39 has a butterfly hood.  With suggestions from this forum, I purchased a mini-piano hinge from Micro-Mart, but that turned out to be too big, partly because of the thickness of the plastic.  I ground out an area for the piano hinge, but it still didn't work without a big gap or the hinge sticking through the hood.  I finally tried using a piece of an old handkerchief as a hinge which I think will work pretty good.  This is a bit rough, but it's my 'practice' hood.

Ken

 

 

  • Member since
    May, 2011
  • From: Vacaville, CA
Posted by bowtiefan on Friday, February 17, 2017 7:17 PM

In 1939, one option was a chrome piece over the side grills on the front of the car.  My car does not have these, plus, the kit pieces stick out from teh body, so I cut out the front end so the grills will fit flush like they are supposed to.

Ken

 

 

 

  • Member since
    May, 2011
  • From: Vacaville, CA
Posted by bowtiefan on Friday, February 17, 2017 7:22 PM

Neither kit had the correct wheels, so I bought some aftermarket wheels and tires, lowered the front suspension, and I think I have the stance about right now, although the space between the front wheels and the fender is more than I like, so I'll see what I can do.

Now that I have the hood hinge problem pretty well resolved, I'll work on the good hood and hope I don't screw it up.  I should be about ready for primer after that.

thanks for looking

Ken

  • Member since
    January, 2005
  • From: sunny Sydney, Australia
Posted by nottheband on Friday, February 17, 2017 11:45 PM

This is looking good, Ken, thanx for the update on your progress, I'll be following along.  Your rod is a beauty, by the way.  Cheers

Steve

  • Member since
    July, 2005
  • From: Australia
Posted by scalepeter on Saturday, February 18, 2017 3:04 AM

Looking good.  Both model and real car.  Wish i could build a replica of my car but being in Australia resin kits are limited and mine car dips out.  Cool project though.

  • Member since
    November, 2016
Posted by bugs-one on Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:31 PM
Definitely gonna keep an eye on this. Badass Chevy.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
SUBSCRIBER-ONLY CONTENT