So here we are at the beginning, the chassis. I didn’t even think of using the kit chassis, as it is very plain and would need a bunch of updates and scratch building to get close to what I want. So I took a look through the "stash" and found a couple of Revell "Sidewinder" pickup kits I bought a long time ago (just for the wheels and tires) and found the perfect chassis. Well at least its closer to my liking. This chassis is already set up for a lowered cab and even have all four wheel independent suspension, BOUNUS! So I mocked one up to see how close it fits the Ford cab and bed. Not too bad, only a little short on the wheelbase.
So I took two of them (I had a total of five to work with) and cut them both in half, just about 3/32 inch different from the center point. Then I took the longer of the front half and the longer of the back half and glued them together. This gave me a chassis that was about 3/16 inch longer than the original, making just the right length wheelbase.
I used Epoxy to glue two brass rods to the top of the frame rails across the cut to give it some strength. I also rearranged some of the cross members to fit the position of the Boss 429 engine and trans.
The chassis now has all the right dimensions, but still looks a little plain. So I broke out some styrene square stock and rod stock and started adding some flair to it. I added two sections on either side of the frame rails that will be under the cab. To that I relocated the mounts and added some bracing, as well as some protection for the drive shaft. Now it’s looking a little more “pro Touring”
For the wheels and tires, I am using some Aoshima wheels from a Toyota custom lowrider kit, sanded them down and pressed into Pegasus rings with Pegasus tires, slightly bigger ones out back.
That's it for now. I hope to have the chassis painted and assembled soon so I can get the cab and bed modifications finalized and fitting good.