Final assembly is complete. Once that stressful moment was over (when the body is half on the chassis, and you're stretching things to get it to snap into place), everything fits perfectly!
I spent today detailing the grille, and it's a good thing I did my research before I started painting, as the grille on a '72 was silver, not black. So I blacked out the headlight and grille surrounds (a trait of the '72), and applied some acrylic flat clear to the grille, which gives it a pretty realistic look. I was torn between trying the kit decals or the PE emblems for the grille, and ended up using neither. The 4-4-2 was painted using a cut-off toothpick (for a flat surface) dipped in red paint, with the excess blotted on a piece of paper before carefully touching the flat surface to the numbers.
Here's the beginning of the process, after detailing one headlight surround:
After painting was complete:
The windshield frame needed no glue! It fits on two pegs underneath the cowl, and the bottom corners of the frame push up and snap securely over the top edge of the fenders! Windshield was glued in, then the visor/rearview mirror assembly.