This is the first re-release of the 66 GT/GTA that has been sitting in my closet for a while. I decided to try to make a replica of the 67 GTA that I owned 1976-79. The body was cleaned up and the FAIRLANE letters were removed from the quarters as they were on the real car. The body and a Modelhaus '67 hood was sprayed with Testors Phoneician Yellow + clear. The real car was Springtime Yellow, but I thought the Phoneician Yellow was close enough for Government Work.
The chassis was sprayed with some crappy red primer I had, then given a sloppy overspray of yellow. Frame rails were painted black, and the fuel tank painted steel.The whole thing got a light coat of Dullcote.
The interior was painted Krylon semi-flat black, and the carpet painted flat black. Seat belts were added. The kit pedals were outlined with silver, and a little circle of silver was added to the brake pedal to simulate the "DISC BRAKES" emblem of the 1:1 car. The interior was detailed with silver paint and BMF. I'm still working on the dash. A Modelhaus 67 Galaxie steering wheel was painted black and detailed with silver to "somewhat" replicate the "boxing glove" 67 wheel.forgot how many little chrome strips the real car's interior had until I consulted Flea Bay.
A Modelhaus 67 grille has had the headlights detailed with Testors clear glue per 59 Chevy Impala's tip in his Buick thread. The GT emblem was painted blue and the parking lights amber. I still need to remove the top grille bar that represents the hood molding because the kit has a separate hood molding. I need to apply a black wash and some flat steel details to finish the grille. I am still detailing the backup lamp area of the Modelhaus 67 taillamp bezels.
The kit engine was sprayed with Ford engine blue and the C6 sprayed aluminum with a "steel" pan. The intake was painted aluminum because the 1:1 had an Offenhauser intake. I resisted the impulse to tint some clear with red and apply a wash to simulate the constant transmission leaks I battled on the real car. I am using the chrome "Powered By Ford" valve covers from the Bullitt Mustang kit. The Fairlane distributor had the vacuum advance removed, the base painted aluminum and the cap painted red to simulate the 1:1 car's Mallory dual point. I am in the process of trying to make the kit's incorrect carburetor look more like the real cars' dual inlet 4150 Holley. Heater hoses have been added to the firewall, and I plan on PCV hoses and plug wires. I'm not sure what to do about an air cleaner. The 67 390 GT used kind of an oddball unit with two screens in the sides and no snorkel. I will probably modify one of my parts box units. Thanks to this helpful forum and its peer pressure, I succesfully cast a resin copy of a power brake booster and dual master cylinder that will be used. I will probably make a vacuum line for it. Parts box headers were sprayed flat black to simulate the Cyclones on the real car. They will be hooked up to the kit's exhaust system. The 1:1 67 tailpipes exited downward behind the rear wheels, but I will probably keep the rear exit of the kit's pipes.
I will either use the Bullitt's drive belts or attempt to cast a P/S pump. Some parts box Mustang will either give up its P/S ram cylinder or I will copy it.
Next step is the GT stripes and BMF for the body. The chrome on the rear of the hood pods may be a challenge.
I spent the day working in the yard today rather than working on the Fairlane :-(
My S-10 needs an oil change and the Mazda and Subaru need a wash, so I don't know how much time tomorrow I will spend either.