The body is painted with Mythical Maroon One Coat lacquer, and the white plastic running boards are clear coated. I decided to go bumperless, requiring the holes for the bumper posts to be filled, which usually intimidates me because of prior flops in bodywork. But this one wasn't bad -- the most important step was gluing small pieces of plastic behind the holes to hold the putty. I think it turned out pretty well, and I like the look of the car without bumpers. The prewired distributor is by Preston's Parts. Next time I do a Flathead, I will work on the valve covers before installing them, so that the molded "plugs" can be removed easier and cleaner. Does anyone try to use these instead of removing them, by perhaps gluing "boots" to them and gluing the wires into the boots?
Looks fantastic. I like the effect of the white-walls.
Thanks! Coming from a quality builder like yourself - that's a really nice complement!
Great looking Forty - Looks great without the bumpers - The whitewalls and white running boards are very early Sixties period. I find that filing the bumper slots square, making scrap plastic "plugs" made from a sprew from the same car that tightly fit the slots, gluing them in, letting them dry for a few days, then filing and sanding it smooth, often does the job. Done well, often a few coats of primer, sanded, is all that you would need. Sometimes a light coat of Tamiya surfacer will be needed to make it perfect. The mostly plastic repair has the same sanding properties. Filler is softer and sands faster making it hard to keep level...
I have done both; using small bits of wire insulation to make boots, and simply drilling out the plugs. The boot thing looks better, but simply gluing the wires into the holes, and if you're really good, adding a tiny spot of white paint to simulate plugs....I admit to taking the lazy way out, just gluing the wires into drilled out holes. Nobody REALLY notices, at least in my display area. They just see the wires and figure I am a genius.
The big problem about using the existing "plugs" to hold the boots, is that you really have to be good at estimating the wire length. With the plugs drilled out, you can always push the excess wire inside the engine.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions!
Beautiful build and period correct.
wow wow wow beautiful fseva..
Thanks, GA55ER & HOTRODLOU!
Real nice build , well done.
Sweet.I like that style grill.
The front is fine BUT you need a rear bumber. ALWAYS drill out the vale covers first, then see how long U want your boots, while they R drying put in your dist. & line up your wires in the right fireing order then your wires will be the right length to match your boots. Battery cables go the same way after U put on the connectors. Fuel lines R anther matter, how your carbs are set up(rails have little tanks) . Mr. GTX
this is a beautiful 40. i'm working on one myself. really nice job on the engine
Great work on this ford ! The white walls set it ,off great on the grill too!!!...Well done